Will a DUI on my record affect my chances of employment?

Man at Work

Flickr User: totalAldo

If you have ever been arrested, that fact will never change. Years from now if a potential employer asks you if you’ve “ever been arrested,” that answer will always be yes. No matter what happens after the arrest—conviction, acquittal, or dismissal—the arrest still happened.

If in fact, you were arrested for a DUI and convicted, the DUI can stay on your record indefinitely. Most people believe that a DUI will automatically be removed from your record after a certain period of time, but that is not always the case.

Many States have laws in place that will keep a DUI on your record for a certain number of years, while other States do not have such laws and a DUI can stay on your record forever in one of these States.

If you are an adult when you are arrested and convicted of a misdemeanor (in this case—your DUI), it remains. You may file a motion to set aside the judgment, which is a way to expunge the criminal misdemeanor conviction from your record.

If this is granted and someone performs a background check on you, they will not find it. When they perform a detailed criminal background search, they will see the charge & conviction but that it was set aside.

If you have been convicted of a DUI, you are going to run into situations from time to time where you will have to show your DUI record.

The most obvious example is when applying for a job that requires you to drive a company vehicle. In a case like this, an employer is going to want to check your driving record.

There are many employment opportunities out there that you can still land even if you’ve been convicted of a DUI.

Don’t allow a DUI conviction to control your life forever. Find out from your local DMV office when you can file the necessary paperwork to expunge your record.

If you find yourself in a situation where you just don’t know how to proceed in clearing your DUI from your record, it is strongly suggested that you seek out a qualified DUI attorney who can help expunge your record.

This post was intended to provide general information only and is not intended as specific legal advice. You should not rely upon this information alone, but should consult legal counsel regarding the application of the laws and regulations discussed and as applied to your specific case or circumstance.